Reading time - 4 minutes, 24 seconds
Summer has arrived, and you know what that means - it’s time for vacation! If you’re like most of us, you’re looking for ways to cut costs and save on your summer travel plans. As an active duty member of the military, there are plenty of deals out there for you and your family. Are you looking to get lost in a new city, camp in the woods, or relax by the beach? We've found a deal for you. No matter what your plans are this summer, your military ID can help you do it without breaking the bank.
Lincoln Military Housing discusses active duty military vacation deals - from finding affordable airfare to booking military vacation resorts - for you to make the most of your time off. Read below for the best discounts and deals, and take our military vacation quiz to find your ideal travel destination!
Military Vacation Resorts & Hotel Deals
One of the first steps in planning a vacation is finding accommodations. While most hotel chains offer military vacation deals, some programs for hotels and military vacation resorts stand out above the rest.
Armed Forces Vacation Club
This “Space Available” program offers flights for all eligible U.S. military members taking vacations across the United States, Mexico, South America, and Europe at affordable prices. Standard AFVC membership is always free and available to all eligible U.S. military, including active duty, reserve, guard, and retired. However, upgrading to the Premium membership unlocks additional discounts that can make vacationing even more affordable.
Choice Hotels International
Choice Hotels offers guaranteed discounts on one and two-person rates at more than 2,700 participating properties. Active duty/retired military personnel, federal employees, cost reimbursable contractors, and foreign government employees are eligible for the Choice Hotels military discount and government hotel rate program. Not sure what Choice Hotels International includes? You might recognize them better by their subsidiaries, including Comfort Inn, EconoLodge, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Comfort Suites, and Rodeway Inn.
Military Airline Deals
Most airlines do not generally advertise their military rates but provide discounted prices to military members who book over the phone. These discounted rates typically apply to dependents as well, and sometimes for veterans.
- Alaska Airlines offers five free checked bags for Active Duty. The discount applies to military dependents when they are on travel orders. During personal travel, active duty military members can enjoy priority boarding along with 15% off of in-flight food.
- Allegiant Airlines offers Active Duty personnel up to 3 free checked bags through their Allegiant Honors program, along with no charge for oversized checked baggage, one free pet in the cabin, and priority boarding for active military members.
- American Airlines lets military families check up to three bags for free and offers discounts on plane tickets, which vary by city. Service members, veteran, and military families can call to check for deals 1 (800) 433-7300.
- Delta Airlines offers special rates for the military. Contact the reservations department.
- Hawaiian Airlines has offers two complimentary bags for active-duty military passengers during personal travel.
- JetBlue offers free checked baggage and a 5% discount off base fares for both active duty military and veterans.
- United Airlines thanks U.S. military veterans, active-duty military, National Guard and Reserve members, and their families with Veterans Advantage®. Members get up to a 5 percent discount on tickets for United and United Express® operated flights purchased on united.com.
- Southwest Airlines has a reputation for taking care of military members. While there is no set military discount online, calling in to book often allows you to utilize their military deals. For domestic travel, call the hotline at 1 (800) I-FLY-SWA to confirm any deals and discounts.
Military Cruise Deals
Cruises are great options for both active and retired military members and their families. If you’re looking for an all-inclusive vacation on a cruise ship, we’ve highlighted some of the top military cruise deals.
Carnival Cruise Line
On Carnival, the military cruise deals are often $25 to $250 per person less than the rate available to civilians. Carnival only applies a military discount to select cruises, and not all cruises are offered discounts at all times.
Disney Cruise Line
Disney is proud to offer special military rates on select Disney cruises. Special military vacation discount rates are limited to a maximum of one stateroom per military member, per sailing. If you’re willing to book a cruise on a 30 to 60-day notice basis, military rates start at as low as $250 per person.
Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Select sailings on Royal Caribbean are offered up to 20% off for active-duty military, veterans, and their families. All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate.
Military Rental Car Deals
While all rental car companies offer varying military discounts, Hertz has the most generous deal for military members and their families.
Hertz Rent a Car
Hertz waives loss damage and collision damage waiver insurance, additional driver fees, unlimited mileage fees, underage driver fees, and gives space available upgrades for active military and veterans.
Military Camping Deals
If you and your family are looking to connect with nature, there are several military vacation deals for both active and retired military members and their families. Here are some of our favorites:
Tents For Troops
Parks and campgrounds nationwide show their appreciation for military personnel by offering two free nights at campgrounds nationwide.
Military families can receive a free camping waiver on a walk-up basis and as space permits. If you have an America the Beautiful Military Pass (ATB), a Department of Defense Identification Card, or a Common Access Card (CAC), day fees will be waived at the park on arrival.
Amusement Park Discounts for Military
If you’re in it for the thrills and are looking to visit a theme park, there are several amusement park discounts for military members and their families.
Disneyland and Walt Disney World
The Armed Forces Salute is a fabulous deal for Disney fans. Military Members can choose between a Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Ticket or a Disney 5-Day Military Promotional Ticket. The Park Hopper Option is included, so you can come and go as you please at all four theme parks each day of your ticket!
Knott’s Berry Farm
Show your I.D. to purchase Knott’s Berry Farm Regular admission tickets for only $52. Save time and receive an additional discount by purchasing your tickets in advance online.
Universal Studios Hollywood offers phenomenal discount options to all active and retired U.S. military personnel all year long! Eligible members include active and retired U.S. Military, DOD personnel, National Guard, Reservists, Veterans, and their dependents. Tickets must be purchased in advance and can only be obtained at participating Military Ticket Offices. A military or U.S. Government I.D. is required for purchase.
Most military bases offer discounted admission tickets at their MWR/ITR offices. There is a 20% military discount off the one day General Admission ticket at the Guest Services Center. A military I.D. is required to receive the discount. Six Flags also hosts Military/DOD Appreciation Days, where members can get tickets for as low as $30 (including parking)!